My little back-yard garden is coming along nicely, considering that I really don’t give it the attention it should have. I do water it most days but haven’t been overly active on the feeding side of things. I should really because my tomatoes and cucumbers are abundant with fruit just waiting to ripen.
Whilst they were still very small, I thought they were not going to survive so I planted a second crop as back up, some trailing cherry tomatoes to put into nice pots. Now they are growing too and I’m not sure what to do with them! I have put one of them in a tall pot with some mini surfinas and a basil variety called Minissimo with tiny leaves to keep them company
and I have another two that are still languising in their little nursery pots as well as a cucumber. I’ll ask Patrick, if he wants them as I don’t know whatever I will do with all these tomatoes if these ones crop as well as the Latah. Mind you, as they’re not yet even flowering, whether they will fruit whilst the summer is still here to ripen them is unknown to me, being inexperienced in tomato growing as I am. I also have some Pepper plants which are flowering and one or two of them have tiny fruit on, it’s very late in the year now though so I’m not overly hopeful about the success of these. I must be earlier with my planting next year!
Finally, I have carrots, radishes and salad leaves, the radishes and carrots haven’t come to much yet but the salad leaves are fine, pity they’ll probably all be gone to seed by the time the tomatoes and cucumbers are ripe!
On the knitting front, I finished the Ishbel for Patrick’s sister Coral a few weeks ago and she was very pleased with it. Here it is blocking. I really enjoyed knitting this and I’m sure I will knit it again and again.
I decided to bead the last section to add a bit of interest. I was particularly pleased with how it turned out as it was my first attempt at knitting with beads. I knitted a little sample of the edge chart to practice with and also to decide which of the 4 different beads I had bought (because I couldn’t make up my mind!) to use. In the end I went for some dark green iridescent ones that I thought looked really effective against the pine green yarn. The yarn I used was Cygnet Wool Rich 4ply in colour Pinemix. Below is the beaded edge detail, the yellow things are pins not beads!